The mission of the community grants scheme is to expand the audiences that engage with science and self-identify as having an interest in science by empowering and supporting community groups to run their own science activities during British Science Week (8th-17th March 2019).
Grants of £500 to £1,000 are available for community groups that work directly with audiences who are traditionally under-represented and currently not engaged in science activity including:
- People who are Black Asian Minority Ethnic
- People with low socio economic status, including people disadvantaged in terms of education and income
- Young people facing adversity, including those not in education, employment or training
- People with a disability, defined as a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term effect on someone’s ability to do normal daily activities
- People living in a remote and rural location, defined as settlements of less than 10,000 people
- Girls and women