West Yorkshire Trading Standards has seen an increase in the number of COVID-19 related scams.
What scams are trending at the moment in West Yorkshire?
- Morrisons voucher Scam trending on social media platforms. Free voucher adverts are posted on Facebook with a link to a fake Morrisons website. Users are invited to follow a link and enter personal account details.
- Reports of scam letters and calls being made to vulnerable elderly residents asking them to urgently pay large sums of money in order to avoid court action for their council tax bills.
- Local Pest control companies leafletting communities offering to disinfect people’s driveways and making false claims that they will ‘kill off COVID-19’.
- Individuals claiming to work for local government & voluntary organisations. Reports of phishing emails sent out purporting to be from Bradford Council’s ‘COVID response team’.
- Don’t click on links or attachments in suspicious emails and never respond to messages that ask for personal or financial details.
- Look for websites with ‘https:’ in the web address, the letter S usually indicates if the website is secure.
- Ensure you have an up to date anti-virus software installed on your device, this will help protect you from malicious software.
Report complaints to Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline: 0808 223 1133
Report scams to Action Fraud: 0300 123 2040