West Yorkshire Trading Standards has seen an increase in the number of COVID-19 related scams.
What scams are trending at the moment in West Yorkshire?
- Individuals are going around door-to-door selling face masks and trying to get into people’s homes.
- Individuals impersonating Red Cross workers and health authorities door-to-door knocking claiming to be carrying out mandatory testing for COVID-19 as an excuse to enter a home.
- Scam text messages/emails from Police/government stating you have been fined for leaving the house.
- Scam HMRC tax refund message/emails.
- Message online or by text stating the UK Government is issuing a payment to all residents asking people to click a link which then goes to a fake GOV.UK website asking people to enter personal details.
- Scam phone calls offering priority vaccinations.
- Parents receiving an email stating: ‘As schools will be closing, if you’re entitled to free school meals, please send your bank details and we’ll make sure you’re supported’. The Department of Education has confirmed that this is a scam e-mail.
- Fake ‘missed parcel’ notes posted through letterboxes encouraging residents to call a premium rate phone number.
Report complaints to Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline: 0808 223 1133
Report scams to Action Fraud: 0300 123 2040