After pausing its grants programme for the month of September, the charity has reopened for applications that address its new Main Grants Strategy.
The Henry Smith Charity, an independent grant-making trust in the UK, aims to bring about lasting change to people’s lives, helping them to benefit from and contribute to society. To achieve this, it funds not-for-profit organisations in the UK that work with people to reduce social and economic disadvantage.
The charity has published new criteria and guidelines for its Main Grants Programme which now consists of two new funds:
- The Main Grants: Improving Lives Fund is the largest of the Charity’s funds, and will support the work of established charitable organisations with incomes of up to £2 million. Grants of between £20,000 and £60,000 per year are available for projects that help people when other sources of support have failed, are inappropriate, or are simply not available.
- The Main Grants: Strengthening Communities Fund is designed to support small charitable organisations working at grassroots level in the most disadvantaged areas of the UK. Grants of between £20,000 and £60,000 per year are available.
Applications should support one or more of the charity’s key values of increasing resilience; creating opportunities and life chances; and empowering communities.
Charities and not-for-profit organisations can also apply to the charity’s other grants programmes which remain unchanged following the review:
- The County Grants programme provides one-off grants for smaller organisations working with disadvantaged people and communities in one of eight English counties. Groups should note that funding for Surrey is not available until early 2018.
- The Holiday Grants for Children programme provides grants for recreational trips and holidays for groups of children aged 13 and under in the UK who are disabled or disadvantaged. These are one-off short grants.
- The Christian Projects grant programme awards grants to projects that explicitly promote the Christian faith in the UK.
There are no deadlines. Applications are considered on a regular basis.
A copy of the new Main Grants Strategy can be found on the Henry Smith Charity website.