The Tesco Bags of Help community grant scheme is where the money raised by the carrier bag charge in Tesco stores is being used to fund thousands of community projects.
Three community projects in each local area will be voted on by customers in Tesco stores throughout the Great Britain, with projects changing every other month. Following the vote, the project that received the most votes in its area will receive a grant of up to £4,000, second place receiving up to £2,000 and third place up to £1,000.
The types of projects funded will be very broad and will cover the direct costs needed to deliver the project, this could range from:
- Purchasing items which will benefit local community groups such as sports kit, specialised medical equipment, art and crafts materials, spades, litter pickers, camping equipment.
- Improvements to a building that benefits the local community such as a Scout or Guide hut, church or village hall, changing facilities for sports.
- Developing an outdoor space play area, allotment, park, school grounds, woodland or wildlife area.
- Running a community event or activity such as fun runs, village fete, clean-up day, tree planting, bird watch.
- Supporting seasonal activities such as purchasing new Christmas lights, supporting a Christmas meal for the homeless or a Diwali celebration event for the community etc.